FADBEE | موقع فاد بي Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > .:: Learning English ::. > Teaching English
  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

English Language

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jklong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: English Language
    Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 1:04pm
I have a question that I need answered. What do you think is the Correctness and the Role of the public school teacher when it comes to teaching standard english language? Do you think it is the teacher's responsibility?
Sponsored Links

ZeRo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZeRo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 1:12pm
Without getting too dictatorial, it is a teacher's duty to teach the language that is most useful and standard English is readily understood by all speakers. That doesn't mean colloquial language is out of bounds, as colloquial language is a vibrant part of standard English. However, students should also be exposed to the varieties of English, which they will struggle with otherwise when they come across a non-standard speaker.

I'm coming from an ESL perspective, but with native speakers, too, standard English is the most useful. In these cases, I would recommend their learning Englishes, which isn't that difficult- I speak one English in the pub and another in the class.

Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.